Thursday, May 20, 2021

A Holy Day-Baptism

It has always been a dream of mine to see a baptism here in Africa. On May 16, I was able to realize this dream.
Our church we attend here had 19 candidates for baptism. Our church observed the sacrament with another church that has a pool. 

The service was to start at 4pm. When I arrived, there was nearly noone there. A few of my friends were there so I greeted them and talked. I actually took the opportunity to practice my language with them as we have had classes for 2 weeks to this point. The pastor came out and I walked over to greet him. He saw I was alone and asked if I could transport these guys. I said I had places for 5 of them, and followed a car to the church for the baptism. Thanks to everyone else being able to pile into the bed of the truck ahead of us, noone was left behind.

We started around 5 with music. The pastor gave a mini sermon on the example of Jesus being baptized by John as a model for us to also honor baptism as a time when one makes a new relationship with God. The church was full with my estimate of 170 people there. I was one of at least 30 standing. 

When the sermon was over and it was time for the baptism, I have rarely seen a crowd gather as fast as they did around the baptismal pool. I was on the other side of the church and was 7 or 8 rows of people deep around the pool. I could finally begin to see through people that there was a hole in the floor and a 4 foot deep pool of water. The musicians sang worship songs while each person was baptized. Before they were immersed they were asked a few questions by the pastor that I could not hear, and then dunked in the water. It was a beautiful sight and I was so thrilled. 


After the baptism, every candidate was given an opportunity to thank their family and friends. We formed a line and shook hands with each person and prayed for them. And that was the service. Not much different from a service in America, but so encouraging among a nation with so many who are non-believers. I pray I get to see more baptisms. I am so glad I could experience this. Baptism services are my favorite form of worshipping God. I mentioned to one of the pastors that my professor would call this day a holy day. He completely agreed.


No comments:

Post a Comment