Saturday, October 23, 2010

Haiti bound

I have my plane ticket! And I am in the midst of packing. I will leave tonight (Saturday) at 10:30 PM, sleep on the plane, get up in Miami and then fly into Port au Prince at 10:50 AM Sunday morning. It is quite unbelievable to me that you can get to a third world country overnight! Another vet, Crystal (a September new graduate from Ross Univ.) will be the second vet that I will meet up with. Crystal has been on a couple of CVM trips before. Once we arrive, Kelly Crowdis will be picking us up and getting us settled.

On Monday the surgery training with the Humane Society International will begin (in Port au Prince). We will be teaching 15 Haitian vets. An HSI tech and vet will also be there. During the training Crystal & I will be staying at the training center so that we can connect better with the trainees. Crystal and I will be helping to demonstrate and show the surgeries and we will each have a translator. Crystal will be returning on Saturday and I'll get to stay until Tuesday (Nov 2) to stay with Kelly and see more of her life and hopefully be an encouragement to her. 

Pray for Crystal and I that we have safe travel. Neither of us are quite sure what to expect once we get there. I have heard that the impact of the January earthquake is still very evident in Port au Prince.  Pray that we would be effective in our teaching and have good relations with the other trainers and with the trainees, and that we would be a good witness to them through our actions and words. Lastly pray that we would be an encouragement to Kelly. Also lift up the cholera epidemic that is hitting part of Haiti. It is not in the area where I will visit, but I am hoping that it won't spread to the capital city.  

I should be able to have some internet access, so I hope to be able to post to my blog while I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment